Perched on the lakefront, the Douglasshütte shelter looks back on turbulent times. It owes is name to its builder, John Sholto Douglass of Tilquhillie. Born into an old Scottish noble family, his father John Douglass founded a cotton mill in the 19th century in nearby Thuringia and settled in Vorarlberg. John Sholto Douglass was fascinated by the rugged beauty of the mountains. He was one of the co-founders of the Vorarlberg chapter of the Alpine Club. Named after him, the shelter was opened on 28 August 1871 as one of the first wardened shelters in the East Alps. In the winter of 1876/77, it was destroyed by an avalanche, then reconstructed, and expanded several times ever since. When lake Lünersee was impounded, the shelter was moved to its current, slightly elevated location on the lakeshore.